Asparagus with Tarragon Sauce
ACTIVE: 30 minutes TOTAL: 30 minutes
TO MAKE AHEAD: Make hard-boiled eggs and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Prepare tarragon
sauce (Step 2); cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Tarragon adds an extra layer of spring flavor to this delicious asparagus side dish.
11/4 pounds asparagus spears
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot ( 1 medium)
2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon, plus more for garnish
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus a pinch, divided
1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper plus a pinch, divided
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 ounces prosciutto, torn or cut into bite-size pieces
2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
1. Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. If desired, scrape off scales.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot; cook and
stir until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons tarragon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and
1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir in mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar and lemon juice. Heat through,
stirring frequently. Cover and keep warm.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add
prosciutto. Cook until just crisp and golden, 2 to 4 minutes, turning once halfway through
cooking time. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
4. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes; drain.
5. Transfer the asparagus to a serving platter. Drizzle with the tarragon sauce. Sprinkle
with prosciutto and chopped eggs. Sprinkle with additional snipped fresh tarragon, salt
Calories 163, Fat 14g (sat 4g, mono 3g), Cholesterol 86mg, Carbs 3g, Total sugars 2g,
Protein 6g, Fiber 1g, Sodium 702mg, Potassium 208mg.