Morning Glory Scones
ACTIVE: 20 minutes TOTAL: 45 minutes
These healthy carrot- and raisin-studded scones are as easy to make as a batch of
muffins. For a sweeter scone, drizzle with the optional glaze.
11/2 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons, divided
11/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup chopped toasted pecans
1/3 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup reduced-fat milk or buttermilk
1 large egg
Sweet scone glaze (optional; see tip)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk 11/2 cups all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a
large bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, cut or rub butter into the dry ingredients. Stir in carrot, raisins, pecans, coconut and cinnamon.
3. Whisk milk (or buttermilk) and egg in a medium bowl; stir into the dry ingredients until
4. Sprinkle a work surface with 1 tablespoon flour. Turn the dough out and sprinkle the top
with the remaining 1 tablespoon flour. Knead three to five times, or until the dough just
comes together. Divide in half and pat each piece into a 5-inch circle. Cut each circle into 6
wedges and transfer to the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake the scones until firm to the touch, 18 to 24 minutes. Glaze, if desired.
SERVES 12: 1 scone each
Calories 233, Fat 9g (sat 4g), Cholesterol 30mg, Carbs 35g, Total sugars 10g (added 5g),
Protein 5g, Fiber 3g, Sodium 287mg, Potassium 153mg.
TIP: To make glaze, whisk ¾ cup lightly packed confectioners' sugar and 2
tablespoons lemon juice (or milk) in a small bowl until smooth. Adjust consistency
with a little more sugar or liquid as desired.