ACTIVE: 25 minutes TOTAL: 6 hours 55 minutes
This festive cheesecake bakes in the slow cooker, and gets a pop of color and a sweet-tart accent from a brown sugar-pomegranate sauce.
Nonstick cooking spray
12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese,
½ cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
⅔ cup canned pumpkin
¾ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product,
thawed, or 3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
1 cup warm water
½ cup pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1½ teaspoons cornstarch
½ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Lightly coat a 1½-quart soufflé dish or casserole with cooking spray. Line the bottom
with parchment paper. Tear off an 18x12-inch piece of heavy foil; cut in half lengthwise.
Fold each piece lengthwise into thirds. Crisscross strips and place the prepared dish on top
of crisscross; set aside.
2. For filling, in a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese with an electric mixer on medium to
high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, flour, pumpkin pie spice (if desired) and
vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined. Beat in pumpkin until smooth. Beat in egg
on low speed just until combined. Stir in orange peel. Pour filling into the prepared dish.
Cover dish with foil.
3. Pour the warm water into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Using the ends of the foil strips,
transfer soufflé dish to slow cooker. Leave foil strips under dish.
4. Cover and cook on High about 2½ hours or until center is set. Using foil strips, carefully
remove dish from slow cooker; discard strips. Remove and discard foil covering top of dish.
Cool pudding on a wire rack. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
5. About 1 hour before serving, prepare sauce. In a small saucepan, combine pomegranate
juice, brown sugar and cornstarch. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and
bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Transfer sauce to a small bowl; cover surface
with plastic wrap. Cool to room temperature.
6. Using a narrow metal spatula or table knife, loosen sides of cheesecake from soufflé dish.
Place a tray or large plate over top of dish; carefully invert dish onto tray (you may need
to give the dish a little shake to release the cheesecake from bottom of dish). Remove and
discard parchment paper. Invert cheesecake again onto a serving platter. Cut into wedges.
Spoon sauce over each serving and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Calories 163, Fat 8g (sat 4g), Cholesterol 25mg, Fiber 1g, Total sugars 16g, Protein 5g,
Sodium 151mg, Potassium 145mg.