Dark Chocolate Mint Bites
ACTIVE: 30 minutes TOTAL: 45 minutes
This decadent dessert is a cinch to prepare—no baking required. For best results, line
the pan with foil before layering the chocolate-oatmeal crust, creamy peppermint layer
and chocolate drizzle. Chill for about an hour and sprinkle with fresh mint, if desired.
1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
½ cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips, divided
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup finely crushed chocolate wafers (about 19 wafers)
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon nonfat milk
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon shortening
¾ cup confectioners' sugar
2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened (¼ cup)
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
Snipped fresh mint (optional)
1. Lightly coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. For crust, place oats in a food processor; cover and pulse several times until finely
ground. In a medium saucepan, combine ¼ cup chocolate chips and butter; heat and stir
over low heat until melted. Stir in oats, crushed wafers, cocoa powder, milk and salt. Press
crust mixture into prepared pan. Chill for 15 minutes.
3. In the same saucepan, combine the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips and shortening.
Heat and stir over low heat until melted. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cream cheese and peppermint extract;
stir until smooth. Spread evenly over crust. Drizzle with the melted chocolate mixture.
5. Chill about 1 hour or until chocolate drizzle is set (cream cheese layer will remain soft).
If desired, sprinkle with fresh mint. Cut into 24 bars.
Calories 105, Fat 5g (sat 3g), Cholesterol 6mg, Fiber 1g, Total sugars 9g, Protein 1g,
Sodium 58mg, Potassium 59mg.
Tip: To make removing the bars easier, line the baking pan with foil (Step 1), extending
foil over the edges of the pan. Using the edges of the foil, lift the uncut bars out of