Candy Cane Trifles
ACTIVE: 40 minutes TOTAL: 1 hour 5 minutes
These festive desserts with layers of chocolate and mint will be loved by kids and adults
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
11/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup coarsely crushed candy canes
3 to 4 cups vanilla ice cream
1/2 cup whipping cream, beaten
to stiff peaks
1. To prepare brownies: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with
foil; grease foil. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda
and salt; set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, water and cocoa powder. Bring just to a boil,
stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the cocoa mixture to the flour mixture.
Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Add eggs, buttermilk and
vanilla. Beat for 1 minute (batter will be thin). Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake
until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool on a wire
3. Coat a 21/2-inch round cutter with cooking spray. Cut out 20 brownie circles (clean and
recoat cutter as needed). Set aside until ready to assemble trifles.
4. To assemble trifles: In each of 10 straight-sided glasses or tumblers, each about 3 inches
in diameter, place one brownie circle. Sprinkle on some of the crushed candy. Top with a
1/3-cup scoop of ice cream.
5. Top the ice cream with another brownie circle. Top the trifles with whipped cream,
crushed candy and mint sprigs.
Calories 519, Cholesterol 104mg, Carbs 72g, Total sugars 55g, Protein 5g, Fiber 1g,
Sodium 306mg, Potassium 175mg.