Mushroom & Herb Matzo Ball Soup
ACTIVE: 1 hour TOTAL: 21/2 hours
With the addition of flavorful mushrooms, celery root, garlic, herbs and spices, this
matzo ball soup recipe has more vegetables and less sodium than a traditional recipe.
4 ounces white mushrooms
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1/4
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
4 large eggs, separated
1/4 cup seltzer water
1 cup matzo meal
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley,
dill and/or chives, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallot
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 cups diced peeled celery root
(about 8 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Coarsely ground pepper to taste
1. To prepare matzo balls: Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook,
stirring frequently, until browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl to cool for 10 minutes.
2. Whisk the 4 egg yolks into the mushrooms; whisk in seltzer and the remaining 1/4 cup oil.
Add matzo meal, herbs, 1 teaspoon salt, baking powder, pepper, nutmeg and ginger; stir
until evenly moistened.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the 4 egg whites until very fluffy and starting to hold their
shape. In 3 additions, fold the whites into the matzo mixture. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Put a large pot of water on to boil.
5. Using wet hands, scoop walnut-size pieces of dough and lightly roll to make 24 matzo
balls. When they’re all rolled, add to the boiling water. Reduce heat to a lively simmer; cook,
gently stirring from time to time, until the matzo balls are light and fluffy, about 45 minutes.
6. To prepare soup: Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add broth, carrots, celery root and salt; bring to a simmer.
Cook until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the cooked matzo balls to the
soup. Serve garnished with pepper and herbs.
SERVES 8, GENEROUS 1 CUP BRO TH AND 3 MATZO BALLS EACH
Calories 249, Fat 12g, (sat 2g), Cholesterol 93mg, Carbs 25g, Fiber 2g, Total sugars 3g,
Protein 11g, Sodium 421mg, Potassium 493mg, Folate 28mcg, Calcium 70mg.