Carrot-Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
ACTIVE: 30 minutes TOTAL: 1 hour and 50 minutes
Finely shredded carrot adds a new taste sensation to this popular dessert recipe.
⅓ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter, plus ½ cup (1 stick) softened butter, divided
1 tablespoon water
6–8 slices fresh pineapple, cored and halved
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
3 carrots, finely shredded (1½ cups)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray;
2. Combine brown sugar, 2 tablespoons butter and water in a small saucepan. Cook and
stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and is smooth. Pour into prepared pan;
tilt to evenly coat bottom. Arrange pineapple slices over top.
3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl; set aside.
4. Beat the 1/2 cup softened butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high
speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar and beat until combined; beat 2
minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
Alternately add flour mixture and 3/4 cup milk; beat on low after each just until combined.
Stir in carrots. Spread batter over pineapple.
5. Bake 45 minutes or until golden and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan on rack 5 minutes. Invert on platter. Cool 30 minutes.
Calories 374, Fat 15g, (sat 9g), Cholesterol 82mg, Carbs 56g, Fiber 2g, Total sugars 34g,
Protein 5g, Sodium 341mg, Potassium 170mg.